Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Arriving in Korea


I realize I have not posted for quite some time. Things have been a bit crazy; what, with all the changes and all. The last time I posted I was in the Portland International Airport waiting for my flight to Seoul via San Francisco. That day I was not in a very good mood. Everything was weighing on my mind, all those changes.


The San Francisco Airport is crazy. Blah to it. The flight to Seoul was nice. I watched Anchorman on my computer and could not control my laughter. Then I watched an episode of Taxi. They fed us lunch and dinner. All the food was great.

I flew into Seoul and, boy, were my arms tired. After taking forever to go through customs, I met a girl who was lugging around five bags, three of them huge, nearly as big as her. We talked for a few minutes. She was going to be start as an English teacher too. But I did not even catch her name because I saw a guy holding a sign with my name on it. That made me feel super important.

He brought me a Vitamin Water. I have never had one because Lebron James is a spokesperson for it and...he sucks. I drank it because I was thirsty. It was pretty good for the first three quarters of the bottle, but the last quarter was nearly non-existent. Anyway, the drive was pretty long from the airport. We listened to Beyonce most of the way. Ugh. This dude even had Beyonce live music. Hardcore Beyonce fan I suppose.

I was dropped off at my apartment and shown how the water heater worked. I was told to be ready at eleven in the morning to get my health check. The place was quiet and my computer was out of battery. I bought a converter for the outlet while I was in San Francisco. The outlets in Korea are different from the ones in the U.S. And, uh, about that... the stupid converter did not fit snugly into the outlet and kept falling out. Annoying.

The next day I woke up at about seven in the morning and got ready to go, slowly. The guy who was to take me to the health check arrived early. We picked up another person and drove to the clinic.

My first impression of Seoul, now that I could actually see, was that it is crowded. Parking is HORRIBLE. People drive like they are insane. I am not kidding. A car just decided to not sit through a stoplight, so he jumped the curb and drove on the sidewalk. There were people walking on that sidewalk too... What the hell. And all parking spaces were tiny even though the cars are normal-sized.

The clinic was nothing out of the ordinary. The lighting was much darker than I have seen in any medical facility in the U.S, but other than that it was nearly exactly the same. Well, except the receptionists did not speak any English.


I had to do a urine test, hearing test, get my height and weight measured and the took an x-ray to look at my lungs and spine. The worst part was the blood test. I do not mind getting shots, but I do not like having blood taken from me. Whatever. I sat there and watched my precious, precious blood fill up a couple vials.

We finished there and I was taken to the school where I would begin working. I met the teachers and went through an orientation. I ended up observing a couple classes and finally I called it a day.

I got lost trying to get home. I was in the right neighborhood, but I could not, for the life of me, find my stupid building. Meh. Eventually, I went to Paris Baguette (a pastry place/sort of cafe with wi-fi) and asked how to get there. Then I got my now charged laptop out (I ended up taping the converter into the wall) and sent an email to my mom saying I was alright, posted a Facebook status update and messaged Jackie. She had just gotten out of the Lady Gaga concert and we would FINALLY be able to see each other.

It had been five months.

The next day we had a wedding to go to...
Enhanced by Zemanta