Tuesday, January 24, 2012

First Inclinations that Racism Is a Thing

I remember being about five years old and coloring a religious coloring book. All the depictions I had ever seen of Jesus was of a light-skinned, blonde-haired, blue-eyed man; so naturally I colored it thusly. Then my mom informed me that, from what we know, Jesus had dark hair and brown eyes. I asked why he was never shown that way. She said because the people who depicted him like blonde-haired people with blue eyes more.

There I sat at the entrance to the living room wondering what is so terrible about dark hair and brown eyes. I have dark hair and brown eyes. My entire family has dark hair and brown eyes. Most of the people I know too. Do people out there think there is something wrong with us?

Eventually I learned through more blatant lessons that racism continues to be a real thing. And I also learned that there is nothing wrong with me. I like my dark hair. And I like my brown eyes. And as I grew older, depictions of Jesus became more historically accurate fortunately.
Enhanced by Zemanta