Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Philo: TV Check-in

Everybody seems to be using those check-in services such as Foursquare. Now, I don't own a fancy phone to be able to use them (and, anyway, my check-ins would only be for home and work; that kind of defeats the purpose...). But one check-in service I do use is Philo, a service centered around television.

Philo is pretty straight forward. You simply use the site (or the phone app) to enter what you are watching. Either you can find the program you are watching one the TV Guide-esqe list
or by typing into a search bar (useful if you are watching via DVR or Hulu).


Of course, a check-in site would be nothing without some kind of  "badges" or "awards." At this moment I have earned 24 (including "Wildcard" for watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and "Baller" for watching ten sports programs).

The problem with Philo, though I do like it a lot, is nobody I know uses it. In fact, sometimes it seems as if I'm the only one using it. I know that isn't true because there is a news stream that shows what everybody is watching. But I am the number one viewer of nearly every show I watch, including:
  • The Office
  • Wizards of Waverly Place
  • Mad Men
  • College Football
  • M*A*S*H
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm
  • My Name Is Earl
  • Around the Horn
  • NFL Redzone
  • Everybody Hates Chris
And there are certainly more. That is just a sampling.

So, if you watch the tv box, join Philo (it's free) and, I guess, be my friend on it or whatever. You can find me here.



Enhanced by Zemanta