Tuesday, June 24, 2008

In My Day People Never Died

So it's become pretty popular for famous people to die. It's now the "in" thing to do. The most recent celebrity death is that of George Carlin. Now, most people will remember him as a great, boundary-pushing comedian, but I'll remember him as Mr. Conductor on "Shining Time Station." He was Ringo Starr's replacement for the role. What a cool train station!

I watched the show a great deal in my younger years because it combined two of my favorite things: 1) trains and 2) more trains. Plus the my mom ran a daycare and I ended up helping (at least as much as a child can) take care of little kids for a great deal of my childhood. Also, I kinda had a crush on Didi Conn on the show (she has a weird voice, but I'm a weird guy so I guess it makes sense). Here's an episode from the amazing research tool known as "the YouTube."




Hummmmmmm. What else? Oh. Something completly unrelated. I hate the t.v. shows that come out during the summer. While watching the NBA Playoffs for the past couple of months I got the chance to learn everyone's summer schedule and they sucked! Especially ABC, which couldn't put a decent show on, it seems, without some really stupid reality competition gimmick. Then there's a modeling show on TV Land about older ladies and in the commercials the people keep on mentioning how gorgeous the ladies are, but they're not! Models are rarely attractive. Like barely ever. I just start yelling at the t.v., "What the hell is wrong with you, none of these people are good looking!" I can't stand models. Who picks them? Blah. Those people should die more often.

And while I'm reminded about the NBA Playoffs...the Boston Celtics won the Championship!!!!!!! My dad has been a fan of them for, I'm guessing, his whole life even though, I'm pretty sure, he's never been to Boston. Anyway, the last time they won a Title I was 15 months old and I can barely remember it. Okay, I can't remember it at all. After that Title came the death of Len Bias (overdose following the NBA Draft, when he was picked second overall by the Celtics thanks to some brillant maneuvering that gave the defending NBA Champs the pick), the injuries and retirement of Larry Bird and the death of Reggie Lewis (heart problems). But after over a decade of futility and just-barely-passable success, they won this year over the Los Angeles Kobe Bryants! The team I hate the most!

I don't think I've ever seen a group of people so happy. I can never enjoy sports because I always have a knot in my stomach until the game is over (assuming my team wins and plays well in the process), but I could finally relax after the final game...a blowout of record proportions.



I'm pretty sure I'll never be as happy as though guys were that night. When the game ended I didn't know what to do. I jumped up and down without yelling (it's hard to yell when you're by yourself...it just feels kind of weird) and I sort of lost my breath trying to take it all in (not because I'm out of shape, I mean, I run three miles every other day...I have to be in some sort of shape, right?). But I didn't actually put in any of the work it took to win, so I can only imagine how those guys felt. (And then I made a HUGE bowl of Frito Pie for dinner because I couldn't eat during the games. And I drank a bunch of Pepsi in celebration.)