Tuesday, April 8, 2008

There has to be a better place than this, right?

I should probably write about SXSW before I forget everything. Pretty much I spent time watching real cool garage bands play. I don't know a lot about new music, but I just found a band I liked, went early and heard similarly awesome bands.

My favorite band was the Black Hollies. They were all decked out in suits with frilly things and boots (presentation is very important). Basically, they looked like they should have been playing in 1967 England. Most importantly they sounded the part. Their drummer was a madman (Keith Moon style). People were dancing. It was great. I saw them twice and bought some cool stuff.

The second best performance I saw was tied between the Downbeat 5 and Magic Christian. The Downbeat 5 are a three-piece who play real basic rock 'n' roll. After their set I overheard an older gentleman describing it as, "A-B, A-B, Chuck Berry. That's all you need to do." During one of their songs I thought the packed in crowd would riot because of all the dancing! I'm not kidding either. Somebody could've been trampled. (On a side note, everywhere I went I was packed into a small space with a bunch of people and little security. Shouldn't terrorists target SXSW? I would if I was them. It would be so easy and make people terrified which, I believe, is their job. Terrorists are bad at what they do and should probably just give up.)

Magic Christian followed them. I thought that would have to be terrible. The Downbeat 5 had been so good. But Magic Christian stood up to the plate. Apparently, the lead guitar player was in the Flamin' Groovies and the drummer played in Blondie. The lead singer looked kinda like Mickey Dolenz (of the Monkees). They wore these skinny vertically striped, black and white pants. That and their Beatle hair made it a sight to see. Lots of people did see too because there was a window in the place that the band was in front of. A whole bunch of people stopped during their set outside that window. They were a weird looking bunch playing incredible music. During their cover of a Beatles' song (I can't remember which one because I was so wasted, okay, maybe not), everyone was singing, well, really yelling, at the top of their lungs every word. It was a lot of fun.

Let's see. I won't write any more, but I did also see (in order of how much I liked their performance): X, The Kills, The Night Marchers, Sons & Daughters, Paul Collins Beat, Coliseum and a bunch of others that I need to look up (I wrote this stuff down somewhere...). Almost every band I saw was really good (except Moby, who still sucks, and Chromeo, which is music that for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would like).

But other than the bands, I really did not like SXSW. By that I mean the people who were soooooo cool. Way to cool for me. In fact, I didn't talk to anyone but the servers at the restaurants (like Bonnie at IHOP where I ate about fourty times because it was next the the hotel...and because she was pretty, which never hurts). People are pretty stupid. I thought it was just this area, but no. I wish I could just stop watching the way people act with each other. It's sort of getting annoying.

Anyway, I also recently cut ties with people who are close to me, I guess (it's not like I've told them, I'm just keeping my distance). And now I don't have any reason to be here. So now I'm trying to decide what I should do next. I thought maybe grad school would be a good idea, but when I wake up in the morning and think about the way things have turned out, I pretty much want to just go back to sleep. Some people you think you're on the level with and then, poof, nope! Disappointing. Very disappointing.

I want to move to a place where I can get a job and there are cool bands coming through (to keep my mind off of the stupid people I have to deal with). Then I can just wait until retirement and come back to New Mexico (I'm thinking Santa Fe), buying NFL Sunday Ticket and never seeing anyone except when I have to buy food. Then again, I could grow my own food...nah, that's too much work. Plus I don't like killing things, but I love meat. I'll let other people kill animals for me. You know, do my part to keep the economy moving. U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A! U...S...A!

Oh man! I can't wait to get old! And hey! At least my music will never desert or disappoint me. Also, I can get whatever installment of NFL Head Coach for whatever version of the Playstation is out then and never have to interact with people to have fun! And I'll have a hiking trail close by (I'll live just outside Santa Fe, like where my grandparents used to live), so that should be way fun! Man, things will be looking up fourty years from now!

Fourty years plus one: http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2743459